Dr Abi Babu
Over 5 years' experience in research and development of new aerospace alloys for additive manufacturing (3d printing). Experience in advanced microstructural characterisation, corrosion evaluation and life assessment of components using mechanical and oxide thickness testing.
Areas of expertise
- Optimisation of process parameters and microstructural/mechanical evaluation of additively manufactured components.
- Remaining life assessment and integrity examinations of critical plant components.
- Material design and validation through advanced microstructural analysis (XRD, in-situ TEM, SEM).
- Corrosion assessment of metals and alloys through electrochemical characterisation.
Relevant Project Experience:
- Life assessment of all reheater header box tubing through in-situ testing to create a temperature profile map to assist tube sampling.
- Evaluation of microstructural degradation and creep assessment of reheater outlet header box tubing to aid replacement strategies.
Outage or inspection team member for the following power stations:
- Loy Yang B Power Station (Vic)
- Newport Power Station (Vic)
- Loy Yang A Power station (Vic)
- Millmerran Power Station (Qld)
- Bachelor of Metallurgical Engineering, 2015
- Master of Engineering in Aerospace Materials, 2017
- Ph.D. Additive Manufacturing of High Strength Aluminium Alloys, 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Registered Professional Engineer with Engineers Australia
- Member of NACE