With a solid foundation in both combustion engineering and metallurgical investigation, Jacob has a wholistic understanding of utility boilers. Jacob has actively developed experience in the areas of process measurements, data analysis, performance testing, non-destructive testing and metallurgical testing, with involvement in international projects and project management responsibilities.
Areas of Expertise
- HRL Technical champion for the EUflame Optical Pyrometry Furnace Exit Gas Temperature measurements
- Boiler operation data analytics
- Combustion optimisation and onsite tuning
- Boiler thermal efficiency and low load operation analysis and support
- Metallurgical inspection of boiler and high-pressure pipping.
Relevant Project Experience
- Installation and operation of EUflame optical pyrometry system at Bayswater and Eraring Power Stations for furnace exit gas temperature measurements. Subsequent data analysis conducted to support combustion tuning and furnace heat pick up.
- Combustion optimisation at Bayswater, Eraring and Kogan Creek Power Stations focusing on improvements to the uniformity and efficiency of combustion, furnace heat pick up, flue gas exposed pressure part temperature management and boiler thermal efficiency
- Investigation and development of coal blending strategies and optimization through data analytics in order to minimise fouling and slagging potential and mitigate boiler clinker events.
- Online relative PF distribution measurements of pulverized coal mills with HRL’s MIC One system to determine the relative Pulverized Fuel distribution and identify non-uniform flow conditions. Testing has successfully been completed Millmerran, Stanwell, Kogan Creek and Eraring Power Stations.
- Performance testing of pulverized coal mills at Millmerran, Stanwell, Kogan Creek and Eraring Power Stations to determine the Pulverized Fuel particle size distribution and the integration of the results into combustion optimisation strategies.
- Metallurgical inspection at Millmerran, Stanwell, Queensland Alumina, Caltex Lytton, Loy Yang, Calaca (Philippines), Diamantina, NRG Gladstone Power Stations and Refineries for the following:
- Boiler internal and external pipping and structures
- High-pressure pipping weld joints
- Turbine rotor, casing and associated assemblies
- Burner and air register assemblies.
- BEng (Dual Mechanical and Materials)(Hons)