Dr Michael Wallis
Business Unit Leader, Future Energy
Michael is technology development and deployment leader with significant capabilities in chemical engineering, product/process commercialization and the application of new technologies. Possessing 20 years of knowledge and experience acquired across both conventional and emerging industries he brings a breadth of experience to clients at all stages of their development.
Areas of Expertise
- Consulted to many of the proponents developing new technologies and new technology projects in the energy industry within Australia on various aspects of commercialization and technology development.
- Experience in a variety of new technologies and feedstocks which spans gas production technologies for hydrogen, ammonia and synthetic natural gas, thermal solid fuel and waste conversion technologies (hydrothermal liquefaction, pyrolysis and gasification) as well as hydroprocessing technologies for upgrading of liquid fuels.
- Experienced facilitator including project, technology and technical risk reviews.
Relevant Project Experience
- Power to Gas - hydrogen electrolyser, fuel cell, hydrogen refuelling station
- Technical Due diligence of hydrogen production technology developer
- Commercialisation pathway and scale up assessment hydrogen production technology developer
- Options study for waste gas utilisation to ammonia/hydrogen and synthetic natural gas
- Feasibility studies for small scale Gas to Liquids to monetise stranded gas reserves
- Feasibility studies of solid fuels/waste (biomass/waste/plastic/coal) conversion technologies including hydrogen liquefaction, pyrolysis and gasification
- Techno-economic reviews of carbon capture technologies including membranes, activated solvents and advance power technologies (integrated gasification combined cycles (IGCC), polygeneration, oxyfuel combustion, supercritical carbon dioxide power cycles)
- Feasibility studies and process development for hydrotreating/hydrocracking of liquid fuel derived from alternative source.
- FEED study for first of a kind biomass to liquid fuel plant
- Detailed design for the balance of plant of a remote diesel/gas power generation facility
- Foundations of Directorship - Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer at the University of Queensland School of Chemical Engineering
- PhD (Chemical Engineering) - University of Queensland
- Bachelor Engineering (Chemical) honours - University of Queensland
- Registered Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ)
- HAZOP Leader (Orica)
- Functional Safety Engineer - TÜV Rheinland
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- IChemE Representative Standards Australia ME-093 Hydrogen Technologies Committee
- Chartered Member – IChemE