Senior Chemical Engineer
Glenn has over 14 years' experience working in process engineering and environmental engineering capacities within the power geeration, chemical manufacturing, mineral processing and mining industries. Summary of competencies:
- Compliance reviews, process evaluations, reporting, and audit assistance for Government programs - National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting System (NGER), Greenhouse Gas Reduction Scheme (GGAS), Energy Efficiency Opportunities (EEO), National Pollutant Inventory (NPI), Generator Efficiency Standards (GES).
- Greenhouse intensity and efficiency benchmarking studies and evaluation of improvement opportunities.
- Optimising carbon accounting practices (fuel analytical programs, fuel metering systems, calibration practices, bias testing, etc.) to industry best-practice standards, Australian Standards, and/or compliance requirements.
- Feasibility studies and cost estimates of improvements / modifications aimed at increasing production, reducing boiler fouling, improving efficiency, reducing fuel consumption, and reducing environmental impacts.
- Project management of domestic and international projects (budgets, scheduling, etc.).
- Liaising with clients in industry and government as well with as regulatory agencies on client's behalf.
- Previously employed as a Plant Engineer for three coal fired power stations in the Alberta (Canada) region (Sundance 2,073 MW, Keephills 766 MW, Wabamun 279 MW) and was responsible for all common systems such as Ash handling/disposal, water treatment plants (reverse osmosis, demineralisation ion exchange plant, potable water treatment) and cooling water systems. Responsible for day-to-day engineering, troubleshooting problems, contract management, project management, and staff/contractor supervision, as well as CAPEX justifications long-term CAPEX and OPEX budgeting.
Areas of Expertise
- Process evaluations and feasibility studies of plant concepts and plant modifications.
- Technical evaluation of long and short-term impacts of proposed changes to plant.
- Compliance reviews, reporting, and audit assistance for several regulatory programs.
- Efficiency and greenhouse intensity benchmarking studies and evaluation of improvement opportunities.
- Optimising carbon accounting practices to industry best-practice standards and/or compliance requirements.
Relevant Project Experience
- Latrobe Valley Mine Fugitive Emissions developed and conducted a large-scale sampling and analysis program. Findings presented to the Department of Climate Change resulting in acceptance of a revised emission factor about 70% lower than previous.
- Dual Gas Demonstration Project (DGDP) Front End Engineering and Design (FEED) (Aug 2010 June 2011) system evaluations, designs and cost estimates for coal feed system, additive system, and gasifier vessel sizing. Preparation of overall systems summary report for the gasification plant.
- Undertaking mechanical sampler inspections, coal sampling bias testing, and coal sampling precision testing for several Australian Power Stations for both low rank coal and high rank coal.
- Preparation of several industry practice documents and studies for the National Generators Forum (NGF) and Private Generators (PG) Environment Working Group regarding key NGER compliance and reporting issues.
- Development of reporting tools and procedures for several major Australian greenhouse gas emitters.
- Revised National Pollutant Inventory Boiler Combustion and Combustion Engines Manuals and NPI reporting.
- M.Sc. Chemical Engineering
- B.Sc. Chemical Engineering
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chartered Professional Engineer (C.Peng 2728960) Chemical and Environmental Colleges, Engineers Australia
- National Professional Engineers Register (#2728960) Chemical and Environmental
- Registered Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ 15110) Chemical and Environmental
- Professional Engineer, The Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA)