Briquetting and Agglomeration Case Study
HRL eliminates coal waste liabilities and creates new client revenue stream
The client engaged HRL to provide comprehensive technical expertise and develop a briquetting product right through from concept to pilot-scale demonstration, and finally, a commercial plant producing and selling briquettes. HRL assisted the client through all steps of product development through to commercial operations, including:
- Laboratory testing to demonstrate the feasibility of briquetting and determine the required briquetting conditions (e.g. technology, binder, moisture content);
- Laboratory scale combustion trials, reactivity testing, and analytical testing;
- Pilot-scale double roll press trials to demonstrate and optimise operation;
- Assembly and operation of a demonstration-scale briquetting plant to allow production of 100 tonne of briquettes for combustion trials by the end-user; and
- Costing activities for a commercial plant.
HRL successfully provided the technical support required to convert the initial concept into a commercial plant producing and selling briquettes. This solution has alleviated the liabilities associated with the coal waste stockpiles and produced a new revenue stream for the client. The key capabilities which allowed the solution to be realised were HRL experience in agglomeration, its laboratory and pilot-scale testing capabilities, and its ability to develop technical solutions to meet the client's specific requirements.