HRL offers specialist engineering solutions to assist clients in reducing energy costs by identifying areas where energy can be saved or used more efficiently, investigating the feasibility of energy saving opportunities, and implementing energy savings actions.
Energy Efficiency Audits
HRL specialises in conducting energy audits for energy intensive industrial facilities and manufacturing sites. HRL has conducted formal energy audits according to AS/NZS 3598.2:2014 (Energy Audits Industrial and Related Activities) for a range of large manufacturing plants.
- Cement production;
- Dairy milk processing and ice-cream production;
- Brick production;
- Integrated starch and gluten facility; and
- Ethanol refinery.
Energy audits are performed to benchmark energy use (including breakdown of site energy use and benchmarking against industry practices) and to identify and evaluate energy saving opportunities based on key criteria such as implementation costs, energy and greenhouse reductions and payback period. The outcomes of the audit allow organisations to better understand their energy use and costs and to prioritise energy savings opportunities.
Focus areas for audits typically include:
- Steam and hot water boilers;
- Internal steam and hot water distribution;
- Thermal equipment including dryers, evaporators, etc;
- Direct gas fired equipment;
- Co and tri generation, e.g. turbines, hot water;
- Energy substitution / fuel switching;
- Solar implementation;
- Process optimisation;
- Refrigeration systems;
- Compressed air systems;
- Fans and pumps;
- Motors and drives; and
HRL provides a complete offering from energy auditing, process modelling and design, through to turn-key implementation or 'owners engineer' support. HRL closes the gap between the identification of energy savings opportunities and the actual implementation of the opportunities.
Key differentiators for HRL are an in-house analytical laboratory, bench and pilot-scale process development capability, advanced desktop modelling tools, plant performance testing capability and the ability to project manage the implementation of solutions.
Recent projects have delivered successful results in the following areas:
- Waste heat recovery, co-generation, equipment modification and optimisation;
- Combustion/boiler optimisation standalone projects, retainer-based services;
- Fuel switching e.g. biomass, waste, gas, coal briquettes;
- Asset reliability/integrity improvements;
- Voltage optimization and power factor correction implementation;
- Digital on-line plant monitoring systems to enable plant performance optimisation and increase plant efficiency;
- Fuel or waste recovery e.g. briquetting, agglomeration; and
- Securing government incentives and rebates.
Securing Rebates and Funding
HRL assists with securing funding for clients under programs such as:
- Victorian Energy Upgrades;
- South Australian Energy Productivity Program (SAEPP);
- NSW Energy Efficient Business Program (EEB);
- Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF);
- Renewable Energy Target (RET) and Renewable Energy Certificates (REC);
- NSW Energy Savings Scheme (ESS); and
- NSW Major resource recovery infrastructure grants program.