Combustion Tuning with Overfire Air Case Study
HRL improves black coal fired boiler efficiency resulting in significant cost savings for Australian generator
As a result of the improvements to, and optimisation of, the combustion and OFA systems, this Australian generator has experienced the following benefits:
- A measurable boiler efficiency improvement, equating to permanent annual fuel savings;
- Reduction of the excess oxygen setpoint;
- A reduction of the secondary air flow rate and reduction of associated FD fan power draw;
- A significant reduction of the flue gas velocity through the economiser; and
- Reduction of spatial temperature differentials for the secondary superheater and secondary reheater, reducing the risk of overheating.
HRL estimates that, in general, the total cost savings of combustion tuning could easily exceed $1 million/annum. HRL is working with this client to assess the potential for the combustion tuning of the remaining units, and additional combustion and operational improvements to improve the unit heat rate.