Dr Helena Zhu
Engineer Consultant - Energy
Over 3 years’ experience working with the power industry. Experienced in pressure vessel inspection, third party inspection, condition evaluation and life assessment of critical components, development and maintenance of risk-based inspection program in accordance of AS3788. Also experienced in research and development of computational simulation of multi-phase flow (CFD-Fluent).
Areas of expertise
- Risk Based Inspection of critical plant equipment.
- Remaining life assessment and integrity examinations of boilers and associated pressure parts.
- Root cause analysis for power plant and refineries.
- Third party inspection/QAQC for major equipment.
Relevant Project Experience:
PROJECT | RBI - Inspection Interval Extension Review
Location: Olympic Dam
- Conduct review of equipment operation history and generate detailed risk assessment.
- Assess the feasibility of extending the inspection interval and increasing boiler availability.
- Investigate feasibility and support documentation for boiler inspection interval extension in accordance to AS 3788.
PROJECT | Engineering support for Major Plant Outage
Location: Millmerran Power Station
- Visual inspection of various tube panels inside the boiler for erosion damage.
- Oxide thickness testing of header tubes for remaining life assessment.
- Daily update to client on findings and provide suggestions for repair.
PROJECT | Engineering Support for Major Plant Outage
Location: LYB Power Station
- Define and confirm inspection scope with client prior of outage.
- Replica assessment for creep damages and suggestions for repair.
- AICIP inspections of deaerator and HP heater for compliance as per AS3788.
PROJECT | Third Party Inspection for Bangladesh Plant
- Manufacturer audit and integrity inspection for major power plant equipment including boiler and steam turbine.
- Site inspection and expert witness according to inspecting and testing plan of major equipment.
- Coordinating between owner, EPC, and manufacturers to ensure smooth communication and project delivery.
- Ph.D. of Chemical Engineering, Monash University, AU
- Master of Materials Science and Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, US
- Bachelor of Metallurgical Engineering with honours, Missouri University of Science and technology, US
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Registered Professional Engineer with Engineers Australia