Business Unit Leader/Industrial Chemist
Nick has over 20 years of experience working as a chemist in the power generation and mineral processing industries. Inorganic and elemental analysis of various sample types, particularly fuels such as waste fuels, coal, oil and biosolids as well as pharmaceuticals, soils and waters. Material characterisation particularly for energy industries. Trace metal determination on a wide range of samples. Thermal analysis including oxidation and pyrolysis reactions. Problem solving fordifficult sample matrices.
Nick has over 10 years of experience in the operations and management of multiple laboratories including optimising efficiency of operation, managment of budgets and setting and implementing strategic directions.
Areas of Expertise
- Over 10 years of experience as Business Unit Leader Laboratory Analysis and Testing Services.
- Over 10 years as a NATA technical assessor.
- Over 5 years' experience as technical member in Australia.
- Over 15 years' of Business Development experience.
- 20 years' experience in the Energy / Power industry.
- Standard committee for evaluation of coal and coke evaluation.
- Project Manager of large analytical projects.
- Client management.
- Coal resource evaluation.
- Combustion chemistry of coal, biomass and alternative fuels.
- Auditing and optimisation of coal sampling systems.
- Bias and Precision testing both black and brown coal.
- Development of sampling methodologies for a wide range of solids.
- Analysis of raw materials and chemical products.
- Inorganic analysis of unknowns.
- Organic analysis.
- Water sampling and analysis (potable water, sea water and waste water).
Relevant Project Experience
- Strategic leadership and Management of multiple laboratories including Mulgrave (Head Office) and Bundoora (Rio Tinto) laboratories including OHSE planning and monitoring as well as reporting, development of budgets, development of strategic direction, planning and execution, operational improvement, resource planning, and financial management,
- Execution of Business Development activities for the HRL laboratory services to various industries including Minerals, Waste sector especially waste to energy, Power, Glass manufacturing, Water and waste water, and New Energy Materials.
- Provision of technical support in the development and implementation of onsite laboratories for various clients including assistance with management systems, method validation, process improvement, laboratory design, accreditations, equipment purchasing and commissioning.
- Lead provider of fuel characterization for waste to energy projects across Australia including assisting with securing NATA accreditation for HRL laboratory 1st in Australia.
- Project Manager for large analytical projects.
- Management of the coal analysis program for Victorians largest coal mine (30Mt/y).
- Review and conducting of sampling procedures for various major projects involving coal and alternative fuels.
- Execution of Bias and Precision test programs at both black and brown fired power stations in VIC, SA, NSW and QLD
- Co-Ordinator of biomass analysis on numerous projects.
- Advisor to cement industry on analysis/characterization of alternate fuels.
- NATA technical assessor for more than 10 years.
- Technical member on the Australian Standards MN1 and MN1/1 Coal and Coke evaluation committee (>10 years).
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Chemistry & Biochemistry)