At HRL we have a range of thermal testing capabilities, from laboratory through to pilot-scale.
We can investigate and develop thermal processes and characterise the thermal behaviour of materials such as coal, char, biomass, waste, and minerals.
Our thermal analysis capability is supported by comprehensive in-house analytical and testing facilities including chemical analysis, physical property measurement (particle size and shape, density, porosity, surface area, pore volume distribution), and mechanical testing. We also have an in-house workshop to construct and modify bench and pilot-scale rigs for specific applications.
How we can help
Specific thermal testing analysis techniques include:
- TGA-DSC (Thermogravimetric Analysis with Differential Scanning Calorimetry) - investigate weight changes due to thermal events, melting point determination, reaction kinetics, heat capacity determination
- High Pressure TGA - to investigate pyrolysis, gasification, and combustion behaviour and other gas solid reactions
- Hot Stage Microscope - to visualise thermal events, e.g. melting or sintering
- Ash Deposition Investigation - e.g. in boilers and thermal processes
- Thermal Conductivity - using thermal probe method
- Dangerous Goods 4.2 Testing - Classification of Self Heating According to UN Standard Method
- High-temperature materials testing - creep, rupture, tensile strength
We also design, construct, and operate small and pilot scale rigs to investigate and develop thermal processes. Equipment includes:
- Physical (steam) activation rig - for activated carbon production from a given feedstock, e.g. biomass or coal
- 5kg / hr pyrolysis retort - including tar collection, gas clean-up, and gas analysis
- High-Temperature and Pressure autoclaves - used to investigate processes such as direct liquefaction (coal to liquids), extraction of oil from oil shale, supercritical water extraction, and hydrothermal dewatering
- Thermal desorption rig - typically used for evaluating treatment of contaminated soils or materials
- Simulated underground coal gasification (UCG) rig - for evaluation of coals for UCG application
- Bench-scale fixed bed reactor - for investigating process such as pyrolysis or gasification
- Laboratory furnaces including sand bath, muffle furnaces (small and large), tube furnaces
- Multi-hearth dryer (~250kg per hour)
- Auxiliary equipment such as mills, screens, mixers, conveyors, briquetters, and gas analysis equipment.